Good Bye 2019

Friends since past few years we have been taking our life's retrospective on the last day of the year. We do touch upon many topics like where we started last year and where we have reached. Are we a better person today as compared to last 31st December. 

We have been maintaining two lists, remember?



First, the list of people whom you would like to say thanks for contributing to your life positively by offering a help howsoever small. Second, the list of people who would be saying thanks to you because you did the same with them: helped those people knowingly or unknowingly. We agreed that whenever we get a chance to help someone we should treat it as an opportunity to become a better person.


When I tell you guys to do so, of course I myself do the same. I write daily diary and last two sentences cover what help did I receive today and what help did I offer today. These notations on every page help me assess myself on this last day. And you know what, I am not very happy with my performance on this front. Many times at the end of the day, I have nothing to write because I didn't get chance to help anyone. Of course the only satisfaction is that I fared well as compared to last year.

But can it be true? Living in a society and country like Bharat, is it true that you did not get the chance? It is only possible in extreme cases like if you enter your workplace early morning and leave your office late in the night, maybe some people from IT sector can connect to this situation. However even at office you have your team, colleagues around you. Newly joined people seeking your help with things, your manager seeking help for a new proposal, your colleague seeking help on some personal front.





The point is, you can help only if you really really want to help. When your inner voice keeps telling you to be available. Then and then only you will see the opportunities to help. Acts of help aren't necessarily very big ones, some very small gestures like opening a door for someone, yielding the way on road. You don't need to go out of the way to help people but right help at right time could be very valuable to the person receiving it. A small example, and everyone will connect to it, is when I go to work on bike, many times I see people seeking a lift. Occasionally, I do offer lift, but many times I tend to ignore them though later I feel guilty. But when I start doing this often then I become habitual and actually stop noticing those requests. 

There are many such small opportunities we tend to ignore. We do not consider those help seeking people as part of our life. Paradoxically, when we get into such a situation, we expect every single person to help us. No one can deny that percentage of people who are willing to help is very low. Out of 10 people you request, there is a chance that one will acknowledge, but every single person who refuses you the help creates pain inside you; that little feeling of humiliation. This is the feeling that you need to always carry in your heart so that you become that 1 person out of 10. Of course I am not saying that you have to honor each and every request, you can definitely set some norms and limits to ensure your safety and well-being, but otherwise you should definitely help. Do not always listen your mind in such situations, go for what heart says.

To conclude I will say that be thankful and grateful to everyone who helped you throughout this year. Try to recollect the smallest help you received and acknowledge the people by heart:

  • The person who told you the address you were looking for
  • The person who picked up your dropped wallet
  • The tea/coffee vendor who brewed you the cuppa with consistent taste
  • The colleague who covered your back when you had to elope from office
  • Your family whom you happen to take for granted 
  • And many many more.... 

This in turn is going to help you grow the second list which is the key to becoming a grounded, graceful and grateful person YOY.

I would limit my temptation as you must in hurry to prepare for the celebrations tonight. Once again I wish all my readers a very very happy new year. Stay blessed, blissful and enjoy!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do Stretch Yourselves

Ego Self-Treatment

Making Provision or Earning Fortune?

We Failed Our Children